Friday, October 24, 2008

Autumn in Oxford...& lots of work to be done.

a slight disclaimer: I must confess that I've been withholding my subsequent post in the hopes of receiving more reader comments...simply to ensure that I'm not writing this to myself! Its become quite troublesome to be waiting with so much to say, however, so I write nevertheless. This is not to say that your comments aren't still desired--this means YOU. :] 

About a week ago I found myself using the advice of my Creative Writing tutor (a man who is inspirational in everything from his bookshelves to his attire) and exploring Oxford in a solitary new way. I pushed my lazy self to wake up early one morning and decided to bring my camera to capture my morning walk into town--it is full of Autumn scenes precisely like this one. Having been living in Southern California for the past 3 Autumns, I have longed for my favorite season in actuality for so long, arbitrarily filling the void with Pumpkin Spice lattes and Disneyland's "Halloween" transformation--and although the season in Connecticut is much longer and brighter than here in Oxford, I'm still reveling appropriately.

The leaves on this path literally swirled in raindrop-like patterns as I walked into them, and I found that remarking on God's faithfulness to me was simple to do in watching the leaves. Not everything comes this simply, so I try to take advantage of these moments. It was good to remember the faithfulness of each season to produce a similar effect in me: childlike wonder. 

I then decided to climb up Carfax Tower to see all of Oxford on the semi-clear morning--it was only just opening up for the public when I got to the bottom of the staircase, and the little man at the desk checked the time to make sure I could go up. Up several flights of slightly precarious stairs with my bulging backpack, I reached the top and discovered the skyline entirely alone with Lord. 
It was breathtaking. And a perfect way to begin 1st week of term. 
And now I am entering my 3rd week--

SO, what have I been doing since then?! 
In short: tutorials, lectures, papers, weekend excursions. 
But I will elaborate...

The highlights and observations of the last few weeks have gone as follows: 

-Generally, reliving the "Freshman" (or Fresher, as they say in Oxford) experience. Entering this very intense world of Oxford life has been an enjoyable whirlwind, not entirely unlike the Freshman experience at any university back home. Remember the clamouring throng trying to assist you with building maps and encouraging words? all the clubs that tried their hardest to sell you their shtick? As international students, we were invited to attend the "Fresher Fair" at the start of first week...which aside from marking us as "official" Oxford students, included a ton of free stuff and sign-ups for everything from electric dance clubs to political organizations. It was held in the gorgeous Examination schools, which was definitely a perk, but the agony of hundreds of sweaty onlookers was just a bit much for me. I was most surprised to discover that in the hubbub, almost every plea for recognition included, "Join the [Things with Wings] club! You don't have to be a bird enthusiast--even if you know someone who loves birds, we'll love you! You don't even have to like birds--just come!!" ...and I'm not being sarcastic.

-Discovering almost daily the newest places to get work done and eat good food. With absolutely no where to retreat to in a house with 60 people, and in a city where everything closes at 5pm, I've had to be extremely creative with this one. With that said, I have my senses--and my coupons--prepared for almost any spontaneous work location. 

-A Visit from two amazing Biola friends studying at Roehampton University in London--Justin and Michelle stopped by to tour Oxford last weekend and see how Daena and I were doing at living the Oxford dream. 

-Although this years' "God Delusion" debate at Oxford between Richard Dawkins and John Lennox was sold out practically before anyone could breathe, the town hall was nice enough to hold a viewing of last years' debate in the main meeting room the night before! So, not only did I have the pleasure of sitting in the beautiful Oxford Town Hall, but I was thoroughly impressed with the debate as a whole. I encourage anyone still interesting in the book or the debate in general to see if it's posted on YouTube and watch a clip or two...very well done by both sides.

And now, arguably the most important part: my tutorials. 

I'm taking Modern Literature (1900-to the present) and Creative Non-Fiction: Writing as my tutorials, as well as going to a handful of lecture series that perhaps only relate cursorily to the subject matter I'm studying. 
(This fact is one of the craziest things about Oxford--even if no student happens to be studying Chaucer, there may very well be 5 lecture series done on him during the term...simply because the faculty here have the freedom to teach on whatever they very really please. )

While my Modern Lit tutorial has kept me busy, I will save that story for another time. 

I am currently very enthusiastic about my Creative Writing tutorial, and am working on a series of "vignettes" surrounding my experience with my late Grandmother. 
My tutor actually had me look up the etymology of the word vignette in his $1,000 Oxford English Dictionary complete with magnifying glass...he then had me flip through the dictionary and read the words that "fancied" me aloud, to get a feel "of what sort of person I am". 
It was quite an exercise and he remarked that I looked "very scholarly"...I certainly felt very scholarly.

I meet in his house quite a walk outside of the Oxford center and over the railroad tracks...he informed me that this area is actually referred to as an "island" revolving around the Thames, and it is absolutely beautiful. Although he reminds me frequently that I need to shut the door firmly because his cat is suicidal, and he is quite scatter-brained--he always seems to know exactly what book to pull out of his multiple dusty bookcases to have me read a passage aloud...and with thanks to him, I have now discovered the poet Philip Larken.

We talked so much about my future career goals and ministry of various kinds that I hardly had time to read my own work, but he encouraged me to read a few specific things and after he learned I was a "Theology" major, managed to ask me what I thought about his eternal destiny. It was a highly educational interaction in its entirety, and I'm eager to get back writing more. 
 

7 comments:

Chris-Chris said...

I read! I read!

Anonymous said...

and I read and enjoyed every minute with your words,once again,,,How EXCITING!!!mum
PS
Commom people ...leave this woman some of your words...ENCOURAGEMENT!!!

Anonymous said...

I surely enjoy every word of your blogs. Five or six years ago, maybe longer, I had the fun of getting notes often from a Biola girl at Oxford. Followed her travels and travails all the way. What fun. And now you! Have your don go through 1 Peter 2:24 and answer the question, "According to this verse, are your sins on you or on Christ? In answer to where do you think he is re eternity. See what flows from that. Poppa Robert

Anonymous said...

adventure blogs! way way way too exciting aubrie, you're so lucky for this experience!
-leahbeth (bridesmaid clarivel crew)

polynomiel said...

give me a call.

- jared

Anonymous said...

Aub-dawg...
I look forward to reading everyone of these.
I miss you terrably but am so glad that you are doing this!
You will continue to be in my prayers and I cant wait to actually have a conversation with you.
love you

Unknown said...

i love the autumn pictures! you captured them beautifully :)