Friday, October 10, 2008

Firenze: "Grazie; Prego"...


Much, much success to report: I have officially completed my "practice" preterm course--and have consequently, completed and turned in 3 (count 'em)--3 papers of which I am proud of two, and ready to face the red pens of my over-eager graders. The task was gruelling to say the very least, and just for the sake of saying so, I oft considered stealing my library copy of Engels's "Conditions of the English Working Class in 1844"--such a compelling read! Not to be concerned though, it was properly returned just yesterday.

So with completed work behind me, and my 3 day break ahead of me, I made my very first (speedy, highly surprising, and thrifty) journey to the Motherland. For those of you who are unawares as to what that means, let me tell you in plain language that I travelled to Florence, Italy.  And it was just as breathtaking as it should be. I actually contemplated whether or not Oxford had an abroad programme so I could just stay there :]...



Daena, Sarah, and I flew into Pisa due to the price of airfare to Florence, and after about 13 hours of bus, plane, and train travel--we trudged our way to Pisa's famous "Leaning Tower" to see what we were told is the most inconsequential city to visit outside of the tower. Once more, although the tourist attraction was pretty exciting, I was more enamoured with a pair of stately dachshunds being walked adjacent to it...oh well! Florence, however, is known for a few things that were surprising, including but not limited to its cow stomach sandwiches--cows and their leather being some of the biggest industries there. Needless to say, we skipped that local delicacy.

We then took on the reasons we came, starting with Michaelangelo's masterpiece "David"--I was absolutely breathless at the majestic size and the feeling of weightiness I was able to capture by spending about an hour in the room observing the marble wonder...after reading and hearing so many money-saving tips that suggested we "skip the David and just see the identical replica in the piazza or the square outside"--they could not have been more wrong!

Just walking into the far end of the room and catching a glimpse was incredible, and it was well worth lines and a multiple of other excitements. One of which involving a police raid of the knock-off print and trinket salesmen outside the museum--it was quite a sight! (A little Chinatown-esque, if you will). I managed to catch a stray toy truck as they were running, and it was promptly taken out of my hand and thereafter (30 seconds later) attempted to be sold back to me by a very short elderly Italian man in a ski cap. Priceless. We did go to the Uffizi as well, although I felt the building was much more impressive than the paintings inside--with the exception of Botticelli's "Birth of Venus" and "Spring" and a few Rembrandt paintings.

We walked to the Piazza Michelangelo over the Ponte Vecchio bridge and saw the gorgeous view of the city as well--then contemplated Italian phrasing and listened to each other respond in silliness. Daena (who is from South Africa) was literally switching between Africans, English, Spanish, and German each time we purchased a gelato or sat in a restaurant.
 

We also got to see much of the city in our wanderings: 
the Duomo, Santa Maria Novella Cathedral, Santa Croce, etc. All of these are masterpieces on the outside alone, which of course was the "free" part on a student budget! 





And to be sure the food, after growing up with both grandparents own regional versions, was perhaps the most exciting for me as an Italian-American...and lets set the record straight: New Haven pizza comes the closest to the real thing...I promise you! 
All the bragging is validated I must assure you. I even happened to stumble on some cookies my grandma made every year at Christmas Eve while in a grocery store...and they were very good.









Our last day we spent traveling to a vineyard to see olives and grapes in tuscany--and it was simply beautiful! Aside from the interesting crowd of overweight American tourists, highly enjoyable. Our goal of resting before returning for the term, however, was perhaps the only one not achieved (although it was well worth it for Italia)--as we spent the entire night from 2am-6am circling the Santa Maria Novella bus station and trying to keep warm for a bus to Pisa. 

Having arrived just a day before the term started, the past few days have been very full and exciting and there will be much to report for tutorials and other excitement.

4 comments:

Chris-Chris said...

I am SO jealous of you right now.

Anonymous said...

Senorina Aubrie....Grazie! I love and so will Gram Pietra ...your comment on her cookies...Bella !
mum

Anonymous said...

Engels! are you studying Marx in the context too? i'm interested on how the academia is over there and i bet the Engel's read was a good one...

your pictures are so warm and welcoming! what a way to study.. (:
happiest autumn!

Anonymous said...

-leah beth (11/04 annon) *oppsiess